1N20.15 - Center of Mass - Platform
Unfold the 16 foot platform in the lecture room. Get on the platform at one end and start walking toward the other end. The platform should move in the opposite direction while you remain relatively in one place.
- J. Guemez, M. Fiolhais. "'Walking' Along a Free Rotating Bicycle Wheel (Round and Round)", TPT, Vol. 53, # 2, Feb. 2015, p. 90.
- Jason W. Dunn, "A Human Hamster Wheel?", TPT, Vol. 36 # 9, Dec. 1998, p. 545.
- Bob Wade, "Spiraling Back" After the Holidays", TPT, Vol. 34, # 7, Oct. 1994, p. 408.
- W.E. Scott, "Approach Times on a Moving Platform", TPT, Vol. 27, # 3, March 1989, p. 170.
- Margaret Stautberg Greenwood, "Conservation of Momentum and the Center of Mass of a Cart-Truck System", TPT, Vol. 25, # 6, Sept. 1987, p. 370.
- Akio Saitoh, "Conservation Of Momentum - Walking the Boat", TPT, Vol. 23, # 5, May 1985, p. 316 - 317.
- Robert Ehrlich, "5.2, Walking the Boat", Why Toast Lands Jelly-Side Down, p. 82.
- R. W. Pohl, "(3)", Physical Principles of Mechanics and Acoustics, p. 86.
Disclaimer: These demonstrations are provided only for illustrative use by persons affiliated with The University of Iowa and only under the direction of a trained instructor or physicist. The University of Iowa is not responsible for demonstrations performed by those using their own equipment or who choose to use this reference material for their own purpose. The demonstrations included here are within the public domain and can be found in materials contained in libraries, bookstores, and through electronic sources. Performing all or any portion of any of these demonstrations, with or without revisions not depicted here entails inherent risks. These risks include, without limitation, bodily injury (and possibly death), including risks to health that may be temporary or permanent and that may exacerbate a pre-existing medical condition; and property loss or damage. Anyone performing any part of these demonstrations, even with revisions, knowingly and voluntarily assumes all risks associated with them.