3D22.25 - Cup Telephone
Make sure the string is taut between the two cups and then speak into one while someone is listening at the other cup. The words spoken can be clearly heard by the listener.
- W- 020: "Tin Can Phone - Coat Hanger Amp.", DICK and RAE Physics Demo Notebook.
- George M. Hopkins, "Conduction of Sound", Experimental Science, p. 125.
- Carson I. A. Ritchie, "Cardboard Telephone", Making Scientific Toys, p. 52.
- "Let's Play Telephone!", Exploratopia, p. 347.
- Christopher P. Jargodzki, Franklin Potter, "Simple String Telephone Line", Mad About Physics, p. 59.
- Neil A. Downie, "String Radio", Vacuum Bazookas, Electric Rainbow Jelly, and 27 other Saturday Science Projects, p. 83.
- Charles Vivian, "A L O N G E R Path", Science Experiments & Amusements For Children, p. 40.
- Martin Gardner, "Paper Cup Telephone", Smart Science Tricks", p, 116.
- Herb Strongin, “Making a String Phone“, Science on a Shoestring, p. 145.
- Prof. Robert Griffith, "A Telephone For Short Lines", Boys' Useful Pastimes, p. 83.
Disclaimer: These demonstrations are provided only for illustrative use by persons affiliated with The University of Iowa and only under the direction of a trained instructor or physicist. The University of Iowa is not responsible for demonstrations performed by those using their own equipment or who choose to use this reference material for their own purpose. The demonstrations included here are within the public domain and can be found in materials contained in libraries, bookstores, and through electronic sources. Performing all or any portion of any of these demonstrations, with or without revisions not depicted here entails inherent risks. These risks include, without limitation, bodily injury (and possibly death), including risks to health that may be temporary or permanent and that may exacerbate a pre-existing medical condition; and property loss or damage. Anyone performing any part of these demonstrations, even with revisions, knowingly and voluntarily assumes all risks associated with them.