6J10.80 - Optical Resolution - Resolving Power
Video Credit: Jonathan M. Sullivan-Wood.
Take the focusing caps of the flashlights and place the glowing lamps as close together as possible. Those closest to the lamps will still be able to see two spots, but those farther away will only see one spot.
- Cyril Carbonel, Sebastien Grasset, Jean Maysonnave, "Accessing High Spatial Resolution in Astronomy Using Interference Methods", TPT, Vol. 56, #4, Apr. 2018, p. 232.
- Cark E. Mungan, "Approximation for the Rayleigh Resolution of a Circular Aperture", TPT, Vol. 47, #5, May 2009, p. 288.
- Steve Kreis, "Megapixels and Human Recognition of Resolution", TPT, Vol. 46, #5, May 2008, p. 304.
- Daniel A. Dale and Brenae L. Bailey, "Physics in the Art Museum", TPT, Vol. 41, #2, Feb. 2003, p. 82.
- Micheal J. Ruiz, "Visual Acuity Revisited", TPT, Vol. 18, #8, Nov. 1980, p. 560, also A Potpourri of Physics Teaching Ideas - Optics and Waves, p. 218.
- Micheal J. Ruiz, "The Physics of Visual Acuity", TPT, Vol. 18, #6, Sept. 1980, p. 457, also A Potpourri of Physics Teaching Ideas - Optics and Waves, p. 217.
- Thomas Leo Rokoske, "Poor Man's PSSC Resolution Experiment", TPT, Reprints from April 1963 - December 1971, p. 136.
- Haym Kruglak, "Another Legend Debunked", AJP, Vol. 28, #7, Oct. 1990, p. 491.
- Mario Iona, "Resolution Determined By Aperture", TPT, Vol. 20, #7, Oct. 1982, p. 484.
- Clarence H. Annett, "Optical Resolution Demonstrated By Flashing Lights", TPT, Vol. 20, #5, May 1982, p. 336.
- Costantino Sigismondi, "Measuring the Angular Solar Diameter Using Two Pinholes", AJP, Vol. 70, #11, Nov. 2002, p. 1157.
- Wolfgang Rueckner, Costas Papaliolios, "How to Beat the Rayleigh Resolution Limit: A Lecture Demonstration", AJP, Vol. 70, #6, June 2002, p. 587.
- Carol L. Miles, "The Measurement of Resolution of a Slit-Limited Eye", AJP, Vol. 58, #6, June 1990, p. 552.
- H. W. White, P. E. Chumbley, R. L. Berney, and V. H. Barredo, "Undergraduate Laboratory Experiment to Measure the Threshold of Vision", AJP, Vol. 50, #5, p. 448, May 1982.
- Haym Kruglak, "Limit of Eye Resolution with Slitfilm", AJP, Vol. 49, #12, Dec. 1981, p. 1183.
- Wallace A. Hilton, "G-1", Experiments in Optical Physics, p. 6.
- O-005: "Sources-Apertures-Projection", DICK and RAE Physics Demo Notebook.
- O-570: "Eye Viewing Two Dots", DICK and RAE Physics Demo Notebook.
Disclaimer: These demonstrations are provided only for illustrative use by persons affiliated with The University of Iowa and only under the direction of a trained instructor or physicist. The University of Iowa is not responsible for demonstrations performed by those using their own equipment or who choose to use this reference material for their own purpose. The demonstrations included here are within the public domain and can be found in materials contained in libraries, bookstores, and through electronic sources. Performing all or any portion of any of these demonstrations, with or without revisions not depicted here entails inherent risks. These risks include, without limitation, bodily injury (and possibly death), including risks to health that may be temporary or permanent and that may exacerbate a pre-existing medical condition; and property loss or damage. Anyone performing any part of these demonstrations, even with revisions, knowingly and voluntarily assumes all risks associated with them.