7B35.10 - Crookes tubes
Hook the induction coil to the electrodes of the tube, turn on and adjust the power and the direction of the current of the coil. The Crookes tubes are designed to be evacuated during the above operation so that different patterns and characteristics may be observed.
- Thomas B. Greenslade Jr., "Apparatus Named After Our Academic Ancestors - I", TPT, Vol. 48, # 9, December 2010, p. 604.
- Carl Fields, "Radiation from Video Display Terminals?", TPT, Vol. 25, # 4, p. 213, April 1987.
- Karl Parsons, "X-Ray Dosage from a Crookes' Tube", AJP, Vol. 35, #9, Sept. 1967, p. 890.
- Ep-7, 9: Freier and Anderson, A Demonstration Handbook for Physics.
- S-150: "Gas Discharge & Evacuated Tube", DICK and RAE Demo Notebook.
- "Crookes Tubes: How Safe Are They", PIRA News, Vol. 3 # 1, January 1988.
- William S. Properzio, Ray C. Woodcock, and Sidney D. Heidersdorf, "X-Ray Emission from Cold-Cathode Gas Discharge Tubes Used for Educational Purposes", X-ray Exposure Control Laboratory, Division of Electronic Products, Feb. 1970.
Disclaimer: These demonstrations are provided only for illustrative use by persons affiliated with The University of Iowa and only under the direction of a trained instructor or physicist. The University of Iowa is not responsible for demonstrations performed by those using their own equipment or who choose to use this reference material for their own purpose. The demonstrations included here are within the public domain and can be found in materials contained in libraries, bookstores, and through electronic sources. Performing all or any portion of any of these demonstrations, with or without revisions not depicted here entails inherent risks. These risks include, without limitation, bodily injury (and possibly death), including risks to health that may be temporary or permanent and that may exacerbate a pre-existing medical condition; and property loss or damage. Anyone performing any part of these demonstrations, even with revisions, knowingly and voluntarily assumes all risks associated with them.