8C20.90 - Dark Energy
The demonstration shows that when the charged capacitor plates are moved apart the voltage rises. This is an analog of the theory the dark energy is increasing as the universe expands.
- Don Lincoln, Brian Nord, "The Expanding Universe: Dark Energy", TPT, Vol. 52, # 6, Sept. 2014, p. 337.
- Elisha Huggins, "Vacuum Energy and Inflation: 4. An Inflationary Universe", TPT, Vol. 51, # 9, Dec. 2013, p. 528.
- Elisha Huggins, "Vacuum Energy and Inflation: 3. Newtonian Cosmology & GR", TPT, Vol. 51, # 8, Nov. 2013, p. 465.
- Elisha Huggins, "Vacuum Energy and Inflation: 2. A Vacuum Energy Universe", TPT, Vol. 51, # 7, Oct. 2013, p.
- Elisha Huggins, "Vacuum Energy and Inflation: 1. A Liter of Vacuum Energy", TPT, Vol. 51, # 6, Sept. 2013, p. 354.
- Joshua Frieman, "Probing the Accelerating Universe", Physics Today, April 2014, p. 28.
- Bertram Schwarzschild, "Gigantic IceCube Tightens Limits on Theories that Predict Dark-Matter Particles", Physics Today, May 2013, p. 14.
- N. G. Busca et al., "When the Universe Was Slowing Down", Physics Today, Jan. 2013, p. 18.
- Bertram Schwarzschild, "High-Redshift Supernovae Indicated that Dark Energy Has Been Around for 10 Billion Years", Physics Today, Jan. 2007, p. 21.
Disclaimer: These demonstrations are provided only for illustrative use by persons affiliated with The University of Iowa and only under the direction of a trained instructor or physicist. The University of Iowa is not responsible for demonstrations performed by those using their own equipment or who choose to use this reference material for their own purpose. The demonstrations included here are within the public domain and can be found in materials contained in libraries, bookstores, and through electronic sources. Performing all or any portion of any of these demonstrations, with or without revisions not depicted here entails inherent risks. These risks include, without limitation, bodily injury (and possibly death), including risks to health that may be temporary or permanent and that may exacerbate a pre-existing medical condition; and property loss or damage. Anyone performing any part of these demonstrations, even with revisions, knowingly and voluntarily assumes all risks associated with them.